I love Fiestaware kitchen products this time of year. There are so many great things that you can do to decorate your table with an autumn theme by using your varied colored Fiestaware. I like to combine several colors; Scarlet, Chocolate, Tangerine and Sunflower all mix and match and go wonderfully with a centerpiece of autumn colored leaves, dried gourds, or dried corn husks. The black soup bowls atop a Tangerine salad or chop plate nested on a black dinner plate makes a fabulous table setting for an easy Trick-or-Treat soup, garlic bread, and salad night.
We always have an easy dinner on Halloween night so that the kids can eat a healthy meal before going out to collect their sweet and not so healthy treats. Below is a recipe for a wonderfully easy Pasta Fagioli soup that makes makes a nice hearty, nutritious, and economical supper for pre-Trick-or-Treating.
Ghoulish Pasta Fagiole
- 1/2 cup small pasta shapes such as conchigliette (small shells)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock (for non-vegetarian option)
- scant 1/2 cup passata (strained tomatoes) *
- scant 1 cup no salt, no sugar chick peas, drained and rinsed
* You can use petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil, and oregano. Drain with a strainer and reduce amount of dried oregano in recipe to taste.
Cook the pasta until al dente following the package instructions. Drain and rinse pasta with cold running water. Meanwhile put the oil in a large sauce pan and add the onion. Half-cover the pan and saute the onion for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, celery, and other herbs and continue to saute another 3 minutes. Pour in the stock and passata and add the chickpeas. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer half-covered for another 15 minutes. Add the pasta, stir, and cook another 5 minutes.